• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 usagi-pire

usagi-pire

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

The best of the best CPU for any building computer is the i7 series on up. Ungodly speed!
Posted Image

#2 Hanger84

Hanger84

Developer

• Developers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Only if you like overpriced CPUS. The AMD Zambezi is far better. Uses less energy, is faster, oh...and it's 8 cores.....something that Intel has yet to bring to the desktop. My best friend just bought his a few months ago and on air cooled alone, he has it OCed to 4.5ghz per core. Intel's new Ivy Bridge is only quad core and maxes out at 4.1ghz stable....even on water cooling.

4.5ghz x 8 @ 199.99 Vs 4.1ghz x 4 @ 319.99

I'd rather have double the power, half the energy use, and save myself some money.

Oh, and did I mention that the AMD has broke the world record for OCing to 9ghz stable? Intel is ok for photo and video editing, but for gaming, or compiling....I'd take AMD any day of the week.

#3 usagi-pire

usagi-pire

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

:o
Posted Image

#4 usagi-pire

usagi-pire

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

Just starting a conversation. :P
Nice to see someone reads my suffs. :D
Posted Image

#5 usagi-pire

usagi-pire

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

So. I've been looking for a powerful gamer laptop. NOT Intel!!!
Any ideas???
Posted Image

#6 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Forum Administrator

• Administrator
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

View Postusagi-pire, on 14 June 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

So. I've been looking for a powerful gamer laptop. NOT Intel!!!
Any ideas???

Uh,  yeah? Alienware ftw

Sent from my S-OFF Rezound using Tapatalk 2.0

Posted Image

Revolutionizing the Android Community.

Posted Image

Tampered, S-OFF, Running Android 4.0.3 ICS

CleanROM Developer Edition 1.4

Radio 1.22.10.0421r, 1.22.10.0424r

#7 Hanger84

Hanger84

Developer

• Developers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

Alienware is nice, and powerful....but at their prices, you might as well go all in and buy a MacBook Pro....seriously. Not to mention, you would get better hardware and tech support from a MacBook and any Alienware. BTW, Alienware is owned by Dell now....and Dell has the WORST track record in customer support.

On that not, I would suggest an Asus or HP laptop. Samsung makes a couple ok one, so does Lenovo as well. I've used and repaired a few Asus and HP laptops and they're build quality is very good, and they're prices aren't outragous. My dad recently bought the new HP with Beats built in and it's a really really nice laptop. If I didn't own a MacBook Pro, thats the laptop I would buy.

*EDIT* Here's the one my dad has http://www.shopping....ent-Notebook-PC

#8 usagi-pire

usagi-pire

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

Oh. I forgot to mention NOT ALIENWARE
Posted Image

#9 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Forum Administrator

• Administrator
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

UR FACE!

Sent from my S-OFF Rezound using Tapatalk 2.0

Posted Image

Revolutionizing the Android Community.

Posted Image

Tampered, S-OFF, Running Android 4.0.3 ICS

CleanROM Developer Edition 1.4

Radio 1.22.10.0421r, 1.22.10.0424r

#10 LordValek357

LordValek357

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

I am the friend with the desktop using the octo-core Zambezi, backed with 16gb DDR3-1600 ram, it flies through video or audio encoding, and my crosffired HD5770 video cards are now my bottleneck when gaming.  For gaming on a laptop, look to the AMD A series APU's.  These APU combine CPU/GPU one 1 chip, eliminating the expansion slot latency bottleneck issue, and I have heard they are shattering gaming framerates for laptops due to this fact.

The laptop APU are declocked desktop cores, and take to OC very well, and are quite often quad-core backed with at least HD6400 series video chipset.  These can be found on NewEgg, my favorite PC parts place.

#11 LordValek357

LordValek357

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:55 AM

Toshiba setup I would recommend for general gaming.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834214611

the A series are rumored to have decent battery life, and are not super expensive like AlienatedWare laptops, the worst thing alienware could have done was sold out to Dell

#12 usagi-pire

usagi-pire

Moderators

• Moderators
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

:o
I luv this guy. :3
lol
Posted Image

#13 z3ro

z3ro

Hoss (Global Moderator)

• Moderators
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Dell is terrible all around. Also, not to nitpick hanger, but the Sandy Bridge architecture  have shown to beat the Zambezi in various benchmarks and real use, even with more cores. Tom's Hardware did a convincing article a while back that made me skip out on Zambezi and go Intel, for the first time in about 6 or 7 years. I'm thoroughly satisfied with my stock speed Core i3.

For all things video though, AMD wins hands down. And when I say video, I mean playback and conversions, not games, although the iGPUs with the APUs definitely give amazing performance, on par with mid-range dedicated cards. I'm curious to see how the newer Intel video chipsets perform, but I doubt given Intel's track record with GPUs that they'll be anything truly spectacular.
"Kick the baby, Ike!"
"Don't kick the baby..."
"KICK THE BABY!"
*kick lands, glass breaks, mindless babbling*
"IKE! Bad baby! You broke another window!"

Read more about me at http://www.thewordofjoe.com. I post occasionally.

#14 LordValek357

LordValek357

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWheeling, WV

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

View Postz3ro, on 01 July 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Dell is terrible all around. Also, not to nitpick hanger, but the Sandy Bridge architecture  have shown to beat the Zambezi in various benchmarks and real use, even with more cores. Tom's Hardware did a convincing article a while back that made me skip out on Zambezi and go Intel, for the first time in about 6 or 7 years. I'm thoroughly satisfied with my stock speed Core i3.

For all things video though, AMD wins hands down. And when I say video, I mean playback and conversions, not games, although the iGPUs with the APUs definitely give amazing performance, on par with mid-range dedicated cards. I'm curious to see how the newer Intel video chipsets perform, but I doubt given Intel's track record with GPUs that they'll be anything truly spectacular.

You do know the Windows environment is not optimzed to use 8 physical CPU cores, only 4 cores with hyper threading, of course the intel currently beats it, but for the price, I'll take my Zambezi ANY DAY.   Also, windows 8 which is just around the corner is supposed to be more optimized for 8 physical cores, we will see who has more processing power per dollar at said release of this OS.

I love fanboys of certain companies, I'll take my speed with the decreased price over the Intel jacked up price giant ANY DAY.
I only spent $500 for a gaming mobo, the Zambezi CPU and 16gb Corsair DDR3-1600 ram (4x4gb) and an LG DVD burner

#15 z3ro

z3ro

Hoss (Global Moderator)

• Moderators
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm not a fanboy of Intel, if that's what you're implying. I still love AMD. I only chose Intel this time around because it was shown that for my situation, I'd get more bang for the buck. :/

And I only paid around $483 for my setup. Granted, I only have 8GB of RAM to your 16.
"Kick the baby, Ike!"
"Don't kick the baby..."
"KICK THE BABY!"
*kick lands, glass breaks, mindless babbling*
"IKE! Bad baby! You broke another window!"

Read more about me at http://www.thewordofjoe.com. I post occasionally.