The "Thermonuclear War" On Android Rages On; Apple Pushes To Block The Latest HTC and Samsung Phones From Entering The U.S. - News -

The "Thermonuclear War" On Android Rages On; Apple Pushes To Block The Latest HTC and Samsung Phones From Entering The U.S.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ryan Dizzle

Ryan Dizzle

[android] Chronicles

• [android] Chronicles
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

"I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple's $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong,"

"I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product. I'm willing to go thermonuclear war on this"

With the direct quotes taken from Walter Isaacson's latest biography of the late Steve Jobs, one can argue that his statements were both taken out of context and as a spill of emotions he had against Google's very own Eric Schmidt. To date, Apple has gone on a litigation spree, suing top Android OEM's such as Motorola, HTC, and Samsung over patent infringements. These infringements cover both hardware and software licenses.The bigger issue here is not about the specific OEM's targeted, but moreso of a direct attack against Google and its Android operating system.  During its short existence, the Android OS has taken well over 50 pct of the world's smartphone marketshare, surpassing Apple's iOS. Thus, it should not be as surprising to see how and why Steve Jobs and Apple would go on the defensive.

On the patent-war front, Apple has recently won in court before the ITC against HTC and Samsung. In the U.S., they successfully held and delayed the release of HTC's newest Android smartphones, namely their flagship HTC One X and EVO 4G LTE by nearly a month. The delays were caused by an ITC ruling in favor of 2/10 patents Apple claimed for HTC to have infringed upon. These simple "data-tapping" patents consists of features such as tapping on a person's phone number within an email or text message in order to make a quick call or "add to contacts". Such features have since been changed by HTC via firmware updates and have since cleared U.S. Customs. However, Apple hasn't stopped the litigation and is claiming that HTC has not fully complied with the ITC rulings. Apple alleges that HTC has only offered workarounds, leaving the core data-tapping abilities present. Apple is now pushing the ITC and the U.S. Customs to bar not only the ONE X and EVO 4G LTE from coming to the U.S., but also slew of other HTC android handsets.

On the Samsung front, Apple has successfully been granted a preliminary injunction against the GSM Galaxy Nexus. They key patents alleged to be infringed by Samsung are the universal search features, slide to unlock pattern, and keyboard suggestions. Oh, and it gets much worse, Apple is also  going to try to stop the preliminary release of the U.S. variant of THE Samsung Galaxy S III. According to Apple, the Galaxy S III bears enough similarity to the Galaxy Nexus to be bundled in to the patent case. Samsung contends that a mere two day notice on the Galaxy S III completely ignores the due process of the case and hopes this will be thrown out of court.

So keep your fingers crossed folks. We may be in for the long haul as this patent war rages on. With Google's recent acquisition of Motorola and its deep patent portfolio, it will be very interesting to see how this all pans out.

Sources:

AndroidCommunity
CnetNews
FOSSpatents
theVERGE
BloomBerg
PCMAG

Click here to view the article

#2 PonsAsinorem

PonsAsinorem

Developer

• Developers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Good article.

This is ridiculous. What about the notification pull down bar that Apple stole? Pretty soon, it's going to be "Google's phones make calls. Only iPhones can make calls."