No replies to this topic

#1 deviant android

deviant android

Chronicles Leader

• [android] Chronicles Lead
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArchdale NC

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Whats up Scotty im Shane and let me say that it is an honor to interview you and that i watch the show almost every week. First off tell us a little bit about yourself and then we’ll get into the questions...

Well, my name is Scotty Brown, I am 36  years old. I live in Tacoma, WA with my \
beautiful fiancee and our children. My full time job that pays the bills is working as the Director of Marketing for
CruzerLite... we make accessories for Android devices and soon, a bunch of cool Android related goodies.
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and enjoy going to the movies, drinking good beer, being a rabid fan of local sports, and most
importantly, hanging out with my friends and loved ones.

how long have you been doing podcasting?

My broadcasting career started in my late teens when I took an internship
for an itty bitty AM radio station in the area. I learned how to work the boards,
record good audio, and eventually wound up on air doing a morning show with a veteran broadcaster.
Interestingly enough, I was young and really had no idea what I was doing.
The fellow I was teamed up with (Don) had been broadcasting for 40 years... so we were really an odd match.
Here I was, breaking all of the broadcasting rules (because I didn't know them yet) paired up with this fellow who wore a
shirt and tie to work every day and spoke in an extremely monotone and serious voice. I eventually went on to take a job
as a producer for a country music radio station in Seattle where I produced the mid-morning show and then jocked over nights on
the weekends. It was pretty fun, being young and on the radio... but it didn't really pay the bills. Believe it or not, broadcasting
pays peanuts unless you're syndicated or have an extremely popular talk program in a major market.

So, I left radio... went on to do other stuff.
I got into podcasting about three years ago when
I was writing for AndroidGuys.com. We had a Monday podcast
that the site owner, Scott Webster did. It was your typical news
oriented discussion podcast... and I felt that we could do something
different that would be more fun. Everywhere I turned in the Android community,
I was listening to podcasts. What I found was that they all had one thing in common: they were boring.
Seriously, no fun to listen to. It was usually some guy who had no inflection to his voice, monotonously reading a script,
and trying desperately to elicit conversation from their guests... who were just the same. So, I took the idea to Scott Webster
to do a 2nd weekly podcast. One that was outside the norm and focused on guest interviews and interaction with the listeners... just like a radio
show. We launched AndroidGuys Thursday Nights, and it was immediately a success. People were actually having fun listening to our podcasts, and it
became clear that the best way to enjoy them was live! Not prerecorded stuff from the night before... if we were doing it live, well... then we could
actually interact with our listeners and get some conversation going. The event became more of a conversation with our listeners. We were talking WITH
them, not AT them.

Eventually I left AndroidGuys... I wanted to take the show in a different
direction than what I could have done there. I wanted to break some more rules...
unfortunately for me, AndroidGuys was a business and had a reputation to uphold. My care free
and often inability to follow the rules got me into some hot water, and I left due to some creative differences.
I don't begrudge AndroidGuys at all... I've been very appreciative of them for giving my an opportunity to do what I love.
However, the style of broadcasting I wanted to do didn't jive with the image that they wanted to put forth. So, I started RadioAndroid.

I began broadcasting RadioAndroid for one reason: I was in charge. I could make or break rules however I saw fit. And boy, did I.
Along with my good friends Matthew Patience and Greg Carron, we were doing a weekly program and then occasionally we'd do Android After
Dark... where we got tore up on air, cursed, acted crude, and invited our listeners to do the same. It was a hit! People loved it! To this day,
when I do an Android After Dark, we'll get more viewers on that one show than we'll get on a regular weekly podcast.

After broadcasting on RadioAndroid for about two years, I was offered an opportunity with RootzWiki to handle their media,
host a weekly podcast, and do an occasional Android After Dark. I've been doing my thing on RootzWiki for a bit over two months now, and truly feel at home. I work with some of the greatest people
in the Android community, and I get to do things my way. Our viewers love what we do, and our audience grows more and more every week. In addition to doing the weekly video broadcasts on Wednesday nights,
I also produce a daily short format news/informative podcast called "DailyRootz!". That's fun too, because it gives me an opportunity to stay on top of what's current in our community, and I get to do what I love on a daily basis: talk to people.

what's your favorite thing about android?

My favorite thing about Android is definitely the diversity.
And I mean it in the most general scope of the word possible. From the different ROMs, devices, sites,
OEMs, and importantly: the community members. Everything is constantly in a state of flux, with new ideas
always coming in and people always pushing the limits of what Android (as an OS and as a community) can
do. We are so extremely diverse. I truly believe that Android has a culture that is complete unique.

what's your favorite Android device?

What is my favorite Android device? Man, that's a tough one... so many devices offer so many things.
I really love my GSM Gnex. It's a beautiful combination of software and hardware that is very harmonic.
Past Android devices that I've fallen in love with: the HTC Sensation... wow, that was some beautiful hardware for
sure. Also, and I know I'll get flamed for it, but I really loved the G2x. That bad boy was solid, in my opinion. I
never suffered with the software issues that seemed to be prevalent, so I guess I'm lucky. I was a big fan of the Nexus One
(I still have mine, name on the back and all) and of course, I loved the G1... I still have two of them. Man, the G1 was friggin bulletproof.
You could pitch that thing down the street and it'd still boot up just fine.

where do you see android in the future?

In the future, I see Android everywhere. I see it in your car, in your kitchen,
in your television, in your school, and in industry. I think that a lightweight open
source OS like Android can really be made to fit just about anywhere... I would like to see Android branch out into
the business world though... we can speculate all about how it can help us personally, but what about as a society? Imagine Android in a health
care setting... or the military. What about in law enforcement? The possibilities really are endless. With a portable open source
operating system, anyone can make anything they want... as long as they can imagine it. 

have you ever owned an apple product?

I've owned one Apple product... I bought an iPod Nano back in the day to listen to music on.
I am an avid music junkie, so I have to have music where ever I go. Unfortunately for Android, Apple really has the PMP
(personal media player) market cornered
right now. Samsung has make a half hearted effort with a PMP, but with no marketing behind
it and no companion music management software, it'll never go anywhere. I've considered picking up a MacBook Pro, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

tell us about cuzerlite?

CruzerLite is a very cool company to work for. In all honesty, this is the best job I've ever had.
We're a small company consisting of our owner and fearless leader, Joel Michael; myself acting as
Director of Marketing; 2 part time web developers; an administrative assistant; and 2 part time graphic designers. We're all very close knit with common
goals, and we each do our jobs very well. We're extremely proud of the products that we produce and feel that they are the very best on the market. We believe in a win-win relationship... our customers win by getting
a terrific product with outstanding customer service at a very reasonable price. We win because we get to pay our bills and be creative in offering new products to our customers. 

what are your roles at rootzwiki?

At RootzWiki, I stay extremely busy. I don't really have a title or anything, but if I did I don't think it would stick anyways.
My responsibilities (to date) are to produce our weekly live video broadcast, RootzLive! every Wednesday night. I also produce our
daily info/news podcast every weekday called DailyRootz!. On top of that, I manage our YouTube channel and coordinate with the talent
on there when items will be published.

Occasionally I'll get the urge to write something and I'll post an article on the portal, and then sometimes I get a wild hair and
I'll moderate the forums.I think that my most important role at RootzWiki though is to provide leadership and act as an advocate on behalf of our members and our developers. I really try very hard to constantly
talk these people up and get them more attention. They work tirelessly, often for little or no pay, just to be barked at, berated, hounded, and
sometimes stalked... all over their free work. I love developers... they are the heart that keeps the

what are ways people can follow you twiter facebook g+ ?

I am super easy to fine... just don't confuse me with a certain senator for the north east... I reserve my Facebook for family and close friends,
but I am not very active there anyways. You can follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/scottyabrown, or my real home away from home is Google Plus. I'm at gplus.to/scottybrown on there.
Be warned though, I don't always talk Android... that's a personal account, and I can get really personal sometimes!
blood of Android pumping.

Thanks Scotty i  appreciate the interview and love the show keeping up the good work  

Click here to view the article
Deviant_Android
Editor-in-Chief
[android] Chronicles